Would you do what I did?

I wonder if anyone else would do what I did. Actually, even I am stunned by my actions. Usually a cautious person, weighing the pros and cons, sometimes, however, I do things on the spur of the moment.

So it was this time. No research. No thinking things through. No consultation with fellow writers.

I was simply seized with panic.

Two years ago I lost my childhood friend and my cousin, and a high school friend and another cousin a year ago. It occurred to me that there wasn’t much time left.

Panic beyond belief. I was dying tomorrow. Something had to be done very quickly. A book of my poetry would be something to remember me by: something spiritual to pass on to my offspring.

Then Xlibris appeared on Facebook. I think it was Facebook, I can’t remember exactly. Talk about memory loss.

Panic. More and more panic.

I looked up Xlibris on the internet, registering my interest.

The next morning I got a phone call, you guessed it, from Xlibris, offering me a deal, a kind of De Lux package, which I politely declined.  I knew what I wanted, just a Basic package with a possibility to include up to 25 photos. That deal was agreed to there and then, on the spot, on the phone, and within three days the agreement with Xlibris to publish my book was signed by me.

So here I am working on this project, thrown in at the deep end.

I’m planning to have the manuscript ready for submission by September.

You may call me crazy, I don’t mind.

But, please, wish me luck!

© 2014 Irina Dimitric

This entry was posted in Story and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Would you do what I did?

1. Good luck. Don’t worry, everything will be fine. Look forward to seeing the finished work.

2. Susan Budig says:

I understand those feelings. My own sister dying at age 43 back in 2003 generated much the same response for me. I immediately began writing for publication, no more novels and poems that sat quietly in my notebook, uh-uh, I wrote music features and reviews for *print*. I wanted to see my name as a byline.

This book of poetry will be a first for you, Irina, a first in a series. My best wishes!

• irinadim says:

We all know that death can come at any age, but we are still shocked when it takes someone as young as your sister. I read your beautiful poem about that loss, which then stimulated you to start writing for publication. It seems to me that we all want a bit of immortality. Your mentoring has been crucial in securing me a tiny spot in that quest.

Thank you so much, Susan, for teaching us, followers of your Mindful Poetry, to write form poetry and for all the encouragement you’ve given me, without which this book of poetry would never have been possible.

3. pambrittain says:

I’m so glad you’re doing this Irina.

4. good on you crazy Irina. It’s definitely what you want to do but the circumstances made you realise it sooner and with more urgency. I can’t wait for you to finish your exciting new project! You don’t need luck. You are talented x

5. suzjones says:

Well good for you. I hope it is exactly what you hoped for.

6. At the age of 71 I did much the same. Last night I submitted the second volume of a three-part memoir… after two months of “What if they say no?” Well, what if they do? I won’t die. So I sent it.

7. It will be – amazing! Looking forward to reading it and seeing all those beautiful photos you have collected over years.

8. I would and I am. I’m using CreateSpace. Have fun. Keep us abreast of developments.
    Love,
    Doug

9. SheilaDeeth says:

Most assuredly wishing you luck. It will be wonderful!

10. Good luck Irina, I’m sure your book will be amazing! 🙂

11. irinadim says:

Thank you so much for wishing me good luck. 🙂 Truly appreciated.

12. Aquileana says:

All the very best with the new project ahead…

It is no beautiful to work on something we like to do… It is a sort of renewal theat, isn´t it?.

Enjoy it, my friend. Let it be and let it flow 😉

Many hugs and best wishes, Aquileana 😛

• irinadim says:

Thank you for your encouragement, Aquileana. Most of the time it’s very enjoyable. The only time I’m tearing my hair out is when Microsoft Word doesn’t do what I want it to do. But I manage to work it out, often with my husband’s help, and then it’s fun again.
      Hugs 🙂 Irina