The Black Prince – Prose Poem – SunWinks! February 22, 2015: Waxing Prosaic

Who is The Black Prince?

P1110205 crop 3

There he stands haughty, resplendent in his shiny blackness, black as tar, black as night, with a touch of white, just to soften his stern image, a sign of his noble lineage that stern image.

Oh, those piercing lemon yellow eyes of his, oh God, help me and protect me! If this be a look of love or hate, of pride and vanity, or of desire and dominance, I’ll gladly be his slave: such is his black brooding beauty, resist it I cannot! “Here, take this small gift.”… What? He hesitates… Why this doubtful look? Why this change of mood? It’s not in his character to be timid…or is there a timid streak?

“Wait a minute, stay, don’t go”, I implore. “Look, I’m as gentle as a doe.”…Then he slowly moves closer and picks it up swiftly with his big black beak.

© irina dimitric 2012

Doug, this poem was written for Len’s Sunday Writing Essential, 19 September 2012.

This entry was posted in Poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Black Prince – Prose Poem – SunWinks! February 22, 2015: Waxing Prosaic

1. It’s very poetic!

2. Lucia says:

Le prince noir est-il un oiseau? Bel écrit très poétique
    Bonne journée Irina, bisous de coeur ♥

3. mincs1 says:

I liked this! I was not expecting the black beak at the end 🙂

• irinadim says:

Oh good! The trick with the photo worked. I asked my husband, ‘What do you think this is?’ And he said, ‘It looks like a sleeve.’ ‘Great ‘, I said and showed him the photo of the bird.

4. balroop2013 says:

Haughty and resplendent? Two unlike symbols evoke a brilliantly dominating image to be abhorred…why would a ‘doe’ implore before such a creature? Isn’t it acceptance of subservience? Am I misconstruing?

• irinadim says:

I took a picture of this creature and then let my imagination run wild. In the middle of the passage you learn that this creature is actually timid. When I realise that he is not approaching to receive my gift, out of timidity perhaps, I reassure him by saying that I’m as gentle as a doe.
      I must stress that this piece was not intended to be philosophical, but I can see your point and your questions make a lot of sense. The poem is actually a riddle until you get to the last three words – it’s a bird.
      The Currawong is a big black bird with a big black beak and in that photo I took he looks to me just like a Venetian nobleman: haughty, and resplendent because of his shiny black feathers. I was just having fun. 🙂

5. Aquileana says:

“Oh, those piercing lemon yellow eyes of his, oh God, help me and protect me!”
    I love that sentence… It reminds me of a wonderful song by Amy Macdonald – Poison Prince –
    Much love! Aquileana 😀