Australian King Parrot

P1200200-001 Good morning, Your Majesty!

The Australian King Parrot is endemic to eastern Australia. This gorgeous, colourful bird happened to be in my street for a visit yesterday when I suddenly spotted him. How lucky was that!?
I had never seen one in my neighbourhood before. He’d let me take quite a few shots, feeding peacefully on some seeds on the ground, two paces away, checking me out with furtive looks before he flew off. I wonder whether it’s someone’s pet?

Have a nice day! 🙂 Irina

This entry was posted in Australia, Irina Dimitric, Nature, Photography, Visual Arts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Australian King Parrot

1. Look at him! Wow, how beautiful!

2. What amazing colors to capture here!

3. irinadim says:

Thanks, Christy. 🙂

4. Pingback: Melopsittacus undulatus | All Birds Blog

• irinadim says:

I started following your All Birds Blog as birds are part of my daily life. I’ll be honoured if you want to share my photos on your blog. Cheers, Irina. 🙂

5. Donal says:

Hi Guys.
    I live near Moggill in Brisbane

My King Parrot experiences started in my garden last year when a pair came to feed on a regular basis. This year I has a flock of at least 10 KP’s who want to spend all day in my garden. To-day (it’s around 33c) they are sitting grooming themselves all day in the trees awaiting feeding time.

Can anybody tell me if this is normal behaviour? Any tips on what I should do to asist them? They love it here as they will stay feeding as I walk underneath them.

• irinadim says:

Hi Donal,
      I’m afraid I have no experience with King Parrots, but I would say this might be pretty normal behaviour for King Parrots if you feed them every day. I feed kookaburras, magpies, currawongs and butcher birds, and they come every day although I purposely skip a day or two so as to encourage them not to become dependent on me.

6. Donal says:

Hi Irinadim

I grow pigeon pea plants in my garden and the birds feed themselves the seedsfrom the plants – the garden now is almost full of these plants and I have now put them in the central reservation of the raod so as they can have a permanent food source.

Almost one year on since my first mail and the King Parrots are still coming at least twice a day.

• irinadim says:

Hi Donal,
      Good to hear from you. I’m so pleased the King Parrots are still coming. Are they talkative? Perhaps I should grow some pigeon pea plants too. I must confess that I neglected my birds for a while and they stopped coming. Now I must coax them to come back.
      Cheers 🙂 Irina